Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Untold Story: "The Same Man in the Brighter White"


Chapter 1
----------

That very hall was painted with fear, with pain, with fatigue that knows no bounds,
Yet at the same time it felt alive, hinted courage, teamwork, and a change of life.

Along with the others, I waited in my plain red shirt and bleached-brown khaki,
Nervously sitting there in fear on what else is going to happen around this place.
I took glances at the others, now my squad mates, each bearing different looks.

The blur ones, the fearful, and the ones telling me how ready they were with that confidence.

As fast as I assumed their expressions,
That booming voice came in,
Suddenly everyone's eyes cowered in fear.

"I want all of you boys to stand up and throw your bags to the floor!"

That very fear staggered a few of us, including myself, to lift up our already heavy self,

"I SAID STAND UP! YOU'RE ALL UNDER ME NOW!"

That man was well-built, dark-skinned, and good-looking in a way,
With such towering voice, such commanding tone, with a face that instills discipline.

We did what the man said,
Got up and left our bags on the floor.

Commanded us to throw everything that is in our backpack onto the floor.

He came to us one by one, recklessly sweeping over everything we threw on the floor,
Humiliating one for bringing in a teddy bear who claimed it was a gift from his sister,
Kept shouting things like declaring cigarettes or be done for.

I was shaken literally when he came over to my side.

"Kalau kau bawak rokok atau charger handphone, surrender sekarang sebalum aku masuk campur."

Having been in the Military Band when I was younger,
I answered to his questioning of whether I've brought in cigarettes or handphone charger,
Which is disallowed at all times in Home Team Academy.

"No Sir!" I answered with a reasonable, fearful, tone.

He stared deep into my eyes, went onto one knee and starts sorting everything out,
Lifting up my battery-operated phone charger and putting it back down,
I breathed a sign of relief knowing that all my background knowledge on how to survive this ordeal has helped me alot.

She was everything that had kept me from breaking,
Even though it was a sign of breaking up,
I put in all hopes this time off will settle things right.

And my phone's life is important for me to stay in contact with my girlfriend.

"If only I knew you earlier, much earlier."
"I can't imagine life without you."
"Come back when you're done with NS."

And her last message before we parted,

"Sitting here at the waterside where we chatted, listening to your iPod in tears. I love you, Muhammad Azlan bin Ramdan."

Waking up at four in the morning,
Just so I could see her again for the last time.

Where we shared our last chats in that small hut-like place facing the riverbank,
Warm hugs and deep kisses.

And those never-ending tears with songs of goodbye.

It was all in mind at the same time,
Confusion, Disappointment, Rejection,

But my fitness instructor booming voice ran through the crowd again,
All my thoughts vanished into thin air with my face annoyed due to that very distraction.

"Now all of you trainees, yes that's what you're gonna be call from now on. HAIRCUT!"


- End of Chapter 1 -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home